The overall goal of the project is to reduce the malaria burden and prevent or delay the development of artemisinin-resistant malaria in the target areas, and contribute to the long-term national goal of eliminating malaria in Myanmar.
Specific goal is to reduce reported incidence of malaria incidence to less than 1 case per 1,000 population in 3 project township by the end of 2020
The Project has the following objectives:
Achieve and maintain universal coverage of at-risk with proven case management interventions and preventive measures including vector control in different malaria transmission setting and hard-to-reach areas through different approaches.
Promote private sector engagement in malaria prevention , control and contributing to elimination initiatives.
Strength the malaria surveillance system by improving reporting system, and to support NMCP in Malaria elimination activity by introducing positive case notification , and investigation and follow up in some selected areas (Stratum 3 Villages.)
Strengthen M&E system operational research and capacity building of project staff.
Improving early access to quality diagnosis and effective/standard treatment of malaria (EDET Early Diagnosis and Effective Treatment) through
1. Trained private medical practitioners (QGPs)
2. Field Implementation Units
3. Village health volunteers(VHVs) to reduce onward transmission of malaria
(A) Control Project
- Apr 2006 to Jun 2007 - 50 trained QGPs in 11 townships (with funding support from GFATM and bridge fund from 3DF)
- Jul 2007 to Aug 2007 - sustained on cost recovery
- Sep 2007 to Aug 2011 - 3DF (4 years)
- Jan 2011 to Dec 2013 - Control with GFATM round 9
- Jan 2014 to Dec 2016 - Funded by GFATM, NFM
(B) RAI Project
- July 2011- December 2012 - 3DF
- January 2013 – March 2014 - 3MDG
- March 2013 - May 2013 - URC
- April 2014 – December 2016 - RAI
(C) Evidence and action for malaria elimination with UMB/Gate foundation
- In 2015, 500 survey forms, 493 RDTs, 493 filter papers, 496 micro containers were already collected and sent these back to DMR for analysis
- For 2016 up to June, 1160 teleforms, 1160 RDTs, 1159 Micro containers, 1157 3MM filter papers and 1159 of 903 -filter papers were already collected and sent
(D) RAI2E Project
- Jan 2018 to Dec 2020 Funded by GFATM,RAI2E
Technical Guidance and Support
- The MMA ( QDSTM) will implement the project based on its own rules and regulations
- National Malaria Technical Strategic Group ( Technical insights and coordination backbone )
- WHO-Technical agency ( Technical and management supports to ensure the technical soundness )
- The MMA Malaria Project Technical Working Group ( Closed technical assistance )